Skip to content

Your rights and options

If you are experiencing domestic abuse, there is support available. Your partner may tell you that nobody will believe you or help you. That is not the case. You are not alone. Here is information on the most common areas women who call the Helpline ask about.

Two women in conversation at a table
Two women in conversation at a table

Refuge can support you

Legal help

Domestic abuse is against the law. You can report your abuser to the police. You can also use the ‘civil’ law to protect yourself and your children, without involving police. In an emergency, call 999.

Help with housing

If you are fleeing domestic abuse, you have rights around housing. You can go to a refuge, or seek support from any local council. You can also seek support to make your property safer.

Help with money

There are steps you can take to regain your financial independence and begin to re-build your life, free from fear.

Protecting my children

Abusers often make threats to take or harm children, or continue to harass women through child contact. Find out more about your rights.

Government benefits

Learn more about what benefits you might be entitled to as a woman fleeing domestic abuse.

Domestic abuse services

There are specialist, confidential services that can support you – whether you have left your partner or not. They can help keep you safe and offer emotional and practical support.

Protect yourself against tech abuse

If you're worried someone might be monitoring your phone or other devices, our Tech Safety Tool can help you change your settings to keep them private.